Tuesday 15 April 2014

PILE

What are piles? What causes piles?

Piles are hemorrhoids that become inflamed. Hemorrhoids are masses, clumps, cushions of tissue in the anal canal - they are full of blood vessels, support tissue, muscle and elastic fibers.

Although hemorrhoids are thought of as unpleasant inflammations, we all have them.1 It is when the hemorrhoidal cushions become too big (inflamed) that problems occur - when this happens they are called piles or pathological hemorrhoids.2
Put simply, "piles" are the swollen ones that are painful and cause problems, hemorrhoids can refer to the swollen ones (pathological hemorrhoids) or simply the normal structure. However, in most cases these days, the words piles and hemorrhoids are nearly always used interchangeably.
This Medical News Today information article provides details on what piles are, the signs and symptoms of piles, why they occur, diagnosis of piles, what the treatment options are, and possible complications.

What are piles?

Internal and external hemorrhoids
Schematic demonstrating the anatomy of hemorrhoids.

Piles can be of various sizes and may be internal (inside the anus) or external ones (outside the anus). Typically, internal piles occur from 2 to 4cm above the opening of the anus. External piles (perianal hematoma) occur on the outside edge of the anus. The internal ones are much more common.3
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA, symptomatic hemorrhoids affect at least half the US population at some time in their lives before the age of 50.4
In the vast majority of cases, piles are effectively treated with OTC medications, a good fluid intake, and by following a diet high in fiber. In severe cases the piles may have to be surgically removed. Approximately 10% of patients who go and see their doctor about piles eventually require surgical intervention.2
Fast facts on piles
Here are some key points about piles. More detail and supporting information is in the main article.
  • Piles are hemorrhoids that become inflamed.
  • Piles can be of various sizes and may be internal (inside the anus) or external (outside the anus).
  • Symptomatic hemorrhoids affect at least half the US population at some time in their lives before the age of 50.4
  • Approximately 10% of patients who go and see their doctor about piles eventually require surgical intervention.2
  • In most cases piles are not serious and go away on their own after a few days.5
  • Internal hemorrhoids are classified into four grades.7
  • External hemorrhoids are called perianal hematoma.
  • Piles can occur due to chronic constipation, chronic diarrhea, lifting heavy weights, pregnancy or straining when passing a stool.
  • A qualified doctor can usually diagnose piles fairly rapidly after carrying out a physical examination.
  • For Grades 3 or 4 hemorrhoids, surgery may be necessary.

What are the signs and symptoms of piles?

A symptom is something the patient feels and describes, such as a pain, while a sign is something everybody can see, such as a rash.
In most cases piles are not serious and go away on their own after a few days.5
An individual with piles may experience the following symptoms:6
  • A hard lump may be felt around the anus. It consists of coagulated blood, called a thrombosed external hemorrhoid. This can be extremely painful.
  • After going to the toilet, a feeling that the bowels are still full.
  • Bright red blood after a bowel movement.
  • Itchiness in the anus area.
  • Mucus discharge when emptying the bowels.
  • Pain while defecating.
  • The anus area may be red and sore.
  • When passing a stool the person may strain excessively.
Internal hemorrhoids - they are classified into four grades:7
  • Grade 1 - there are small inflammations, usually inside the lining of the anus. They are not visible.
  • Grade 2 - larger than Grade 1 hemorrhoids, and also inside the anus. When passing a stool they may get pushed out, but soon return.
  • Grade 3 - often called 'prolapsed hemorrhoids'; these appear outside the anus. The patient may feel them hanging out. They can be pushed back in if the patient presses with his/her finger.
  • Grade 4 - these cannot be pushed back in and need to be treated by a doctor. They are large and stay outside the anus all the time.
External hemorrhoids - called perianal hematoma. These are small lumps that are located on the outside edge of the anus. They are extremely itchy and can be painful if a blood clot forms inside (thrombosed external hemorrhoid). Thrombosed external hemorrhoid requires medical treatment straight away.8

Why do piles occur?

The blood vessels around the anus and in the rectum will stretch under pressure and may swell or bulge. Inflamed veins (hemorrhoids) can develop when pressure increases in the lower rectum. This may be due to:
  • Chronic constipation.9
  • Chronic diarrhea.10
  • Lifting heavy weights.11
  • Pregnancy.12
  • Straining when passing a stool.13
The tendency to develop hemorrhoids may also be inherited. The risk of developing piles grows with age.14

Diagnosing piles

A qualified doctor can usually diagnose piles fairly rapidly after carrying out a physical examination. He/she will examine the patient's anus for swollen veins.
The doctor may ask the following questions:
  • Do any close relatives (parents, siblings) have piles?
  • Has there been any blood on the stools?
  • Has there been any mucus on the stools?
  • Has there been any recent weight loss?
  • Have bowel movements changed recently?
  • What color are the stools?
Internal hemorrhoids - the doctor may perform a DRE (digital rectal exam) or use a proctoscope - a hollow tube fitted with a light. The proctoscope allows the doctor to see the anal canal and take a small tissue sample from inside the rectum, which can be sent to the lab for analysis.15
If the physician is presented with signs and symptoms which may suggest another digestive system disease, risk factors for colorectal cancer, and some other factors, he/she may recommend ordering an examination of the colon using colonoscopy.

What are the treatment options for piles?

In the majority of cases, piles resolve on their own without the need for any treatment. Treatments can help significantly reduce the discomfort and itching that many patients experience.
A good doctor will initially recommend some lifestyle changes.
Diet - piles can be caused by too much straining when doing bowel movements, which is the result of constipation. A change in diet can help keep the stools regular and soft. This involves eating more fiber, such as fruit and vegetables, or even switching your cereal breakfast to bran.16
Water is the best drink, and the patient may be advised to increase his/her water consumption. Some experts say too much caffeine is not good.
Body weight - if the patient is obese, losing weight may help reduce the incidence and severity of hemorrhoids.17
Simple things you can do yourself to help prevent piles:10
  • Try not to strain when you go to the toilet.
  • Avoid laxatives.
  • Exercise.
Ointments, creams, pads and other OTC medications - there are some over-the-counter (OTC) medications which help soothe the redness and swelling around the anus area. Some of them contain witch hazel, hydrocortisone, or some other active ingredient which can relieve symptoms of itching and pain.1813
It is important to remember that they do not cure piles, they only treat the symptoms. Do not use them for more than seven consecutive days - longer periods may irritate the anus area and cause skin thinning. Unless advised to by your doctor, do not use two or more medications simultaneously.
Corticosteroids - these can reduce inflammation and pain.13
Painkillers - ask your pharmacist for suitable painkilling medications, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol).19
Laxatives - the doctor may prescribe one if the patient suffers from constipation.19
Banding - the doctor places an elastic band around the base of the pile inside the anus, cutting its blood supply. After a few days the hemorrhoids fall off. This can work for Grades 2 and 3 hemorrhoids.19
Sclerotherapy - a medicine is injected into the vein to make the hemorrhoid shrink - the hemorrhoid eventually shrivels up. This is effective for Grades 2 and 3 hemorrhoids, and is a useful alternative to banding.19
Infrared coagulation - also referred to as infrared light coagulation. Used for Grades 1 or 2 hemorrhoids. A device burns the hemorrhoid tissue.19
Surgery - used for particularly large piles, or Grades 3 or 4 hemorrhoids. Generally, surgery is used if other procedures were not effective. Sometimes surgery is done on an outpatient basis - the patient goes home after the procedure, or he/she may have to spend the night in hospital.
  • Hemorrhoidectomy - the excess tissue that is causing the bleeding is surgically removed. This can be done in various ways. It may involve a combination of a local anesthetic and sedation, a spinal anesthetic, or a general anesthetic. This type of surgery is the most effective in completely removing piles, but there is a risk of complications, which can include difficulties passing stools, as well as urinary tract infections.19
  • Hemorrhoid stapling - blood flow is blocked to the tissue of the hemorrhoid. This procedure is usually less painful than hemorrhoidectomy. However, there is a greater risk of hemorrhoid recurrence and rectal prolapse (part of the rectum sticks out of the anus).19

11 comments:

  1. Pilepsole is made with same methodology that makes it a complete piles treatment at home. The medicine not only reduces the pain and stops bleeding but works to correct the causes that trigger piles.

    ReplyDelete

  2. God bless Dr Adodo for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2015 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied and i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr Adodo, how he cured HERPES, DIABETES, HIV/AIDS and CANCER with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2 weeks before i went for a test and confirmed i was cured from HERPES, Dr Adodo truly is a great man, do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through his Email: dradodojattotemple@yahoo.com Or contact his number (+2348118224554)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had Hemorrhoid over years, and I have had countless different medication. All effort made to cure the menace of this recurrent problem prove abortive. I was literary at the end of the rope when I came across Jane story, Jane was inspiring, as she also had same problem as mine but uses Dr. Johnson product before she was able to get a cure. Therefore based on this info, I decided to contact him on my own regard and finally got his medicine. I only used the medicine for three weeks after which I went for a test, and my Doctor himself confirmed that Am Cured,If you are having same problem as mine, you can contact him for advice at possible solution with drjohnson958@gmail.com or call +15186756082

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have suffered from Pile for 2 years, with no cure, I have search for solution every where, and I have taking different medications, but non worked for me.
    I got the Contact of Dr Johnson from the Internet, I read About him that he has a permanent cure to Pile, So I contacted him and he gave him all my Details, Then I got his medication which I used for one month. Now am completely cure from Pile.
    Contact Dr Johnson on drjohnson958@gmail.com or whats-app him on +1(518)-675-6082 to get his product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have suffered from Pile for 2 years, with no cure, I have search for solution every where, and I have taking different medications, but non worked for me.
    I got the Contact of Dr Johnson from the Internet, I read About him that he has a permanent cure to Pile, So I contacted him and he gave him all my Details, Then I got his medication which I used for one month. Now am completely cure from Pile.
    Contact Dr Johnson on drjohnson958@gmail.com or whats-app him on +1(518)-675-6082 to get his product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having hemorrhoids, were serious and that no medication would improve matters. I was diagnosed with internal / external thrombosed hemorrhoid and two anal fissures, one on the back and one on the front. I got these from taking left over percocets and then pooping bowling balls. I started taking Zoloft. I like it, it makes me less anxious, I do a lot to keep my bowels soft and to prevent constipation. I drink A LOT of water during the day but all spread out through out the day. I spent every minute in the bathroom going between the tub and the toilette. I’d force it out in excruciating pain.

    Most people are embarrassed to share that their butthole hurts, I was for a very long time. But, by keeping it to myself it only made me worry and scared – and if I was going to live with this condition for the rest of my life, that is not how I want to be… worried and scared. I was opted for surgery which Doctor told me is the only solution. He was so casual about it and said it was definitely the way to go for a permanent solution. I was very nervous and have never had a surgery before.
    I asked him about the pain of recovery, and he just said “you are already in a lot of pain”. I always believed there must be an natural solution to my predicament, I finally got steered in the right direction and saw a post about Justin herbal medication, everything started to get easier from the point I started taking Justin Herbal Medicine.I felt a moment of relief hoping that, I am free from this ailment, and I remind myself how lucky to come across Lance Justin's herbal medicine which is able to control my disease. I promised myself that I would stay strong and not sneak food that would cause me any harm again. The only thing I wanted was to feel better. I’m proud to say I am hemorrhoids disease free. You can also contact him through (lancejustin54@gmail.com).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing such an informative blog. To get rid of hemorrhoids, it’s important that you avoid constipation and hard stool, which can be done by eating plenty of high-fiber foods to make stools soft. Eat foods such as avocados, berries, figs, Brussels sprouts, acorn squash, beans, lentils, nuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds and quinoa. P|iles natural treatment has anti-inflammatory properties, and is fast in penetrating body tissues. The uncomfortable itching from hemorrhoids stops within minutes.visit http://www.hashmidawakhana.org/treatment-of-bleeding-piles-hemorrhoids.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am Sophie from Canada, I once suffered from a terrible and Chronic Hemorrhoids ,since 30years now , the doctor told me there was no permanent cure i was given medications to slow down its progress, i constantly felt my health was deteriorating as i constantly go out of breath,and this illness was really terrible especially when am going out with my friends, i have this constant disorder for about 30 years, this was really a terrible illness ,on thin one day that i was going through the internet,and i came across a post of Mrs shelley on how his husband was been cured from Hemorrhoids through the help of Dr Williams herbal product, I contacted this herbal doctor via his email and explain everything to him and make purchase of his product,few days later he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received the herbal medicine, i used it for 1 months as prescribed by Dr Williams and i was totally cured within those week of usage,on thin now i have not experience any sign or characteristics again . for more information you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers..

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is no other way to get the body of herpes virus other than detoxification using natural diet or pure herbs. The health industry is a billion dollars industry - which is why the big pharmaceuticals sued Dr. Sebi the moment he discovered a 1-Week CURE FOR HERPES (Oral and Genital). Most diseases are acquired by what you eat. Even when infected by someone, it thrives because your body is receptive and filled with mucus. No disease can survive in an electric filled body. What you eat will determine how you live, how you behave, and even how it relates to you. Detoxification is the heart of ridding the body of the herpes virus. There is no other way to bring the necessary result. There are three ways to achieve this; Stop putting acidic foods into the body - if possible eat only alkaline diet, Fast daily before eating if possible for a year, Cleanse the body of toxins and acids with Nze Njoku Herbal Formula (Which also increases oxygen to cells). Feed the body with the right nutrients to repair, rebuild, and strengthen it at a cellular level and watch the body heal itself.

    Some may wonder, how long is one expected to maintain such a diet and what herbs can help you achieve all these within few weeks?

    Nze Njoku Herbal Home provides all the
    answers.

    ReplyDelete